The use of ozone in the beverage sector (wine, beer, fruit juice and mineral water) in the phases of washing containers reduces timeframes, as the chemical products require less time to act, Decreases the organic load of the water used for washing and improves the efficiency of waste water treatment plants.
Ozone is used in plants to:
- Sanitize filling and bottling lines
- Sanitize storage tanks and tubs
- Purify waste water
- Wash or sanitize surfaces such as floors, walls and ceilings
Within individual processes, ozone is used for:
- Washing fruit for the purpose of producing juice, lowering the amount of pesticides, mycotoxins, bacterial loads, mold and viruses
- Disinfection of water used in fruit transportation
Specifically, in winemaking, ozone can also be used for:
- Sanitizing and disinfecting raisin production areas
- Washing and/or treatment of barrels
The advantages for the wine and beverage sector can be summarized in savings of time, water and chemical products, which, when added to the reduction in the possibility of contamination or alteration of the wine, translate into returns in terms of image in the eyes of the consumer.
To complete this picture, comparison of the results of contamination tests on bottling machines after washing with peroxyacetone and after washing with ozonized water shows that treatment with ozone reduces the decimal amount of contamination by an average of two orders of magnitude.